Identity Theft and the IRS

Identity Theft and the IRS

Posted By: Jennifer O'Neill // May 22, 2017

We recently had a client who attempted to have his 2012 State & Federal Income Tax Returns E-Filed.  The returns were rejected based on the fact that the return has already been filed.  When we pulled the clients transcripts we found that someone else had filed a return using our clients social security number.

In cases like this you need to complete Form 14039, which is the RIS ‘ Identity Theft Affidavit. This form should be completed and signed either by the client or the clients Representative.  You need to include documentation with this form (i.e. Passport, Driver’s License & Social Security Card Copies). 

If you live in a state that has income tax make sure that you check with the local tax authorities in your state to see what needs to be sent into them.

Get Tax Help Now

With local tax representatives in your area, we can meet with you face to face, to help you resolve your IRS and State tax problems.
Call 1-800-IRS-HELP and speak with a friendly tax professional.

We will represent you before the taxing authorities - instead of hassling you, they will need to work through us.